There are almost 90 nursing homes in Denver and if you add the facilities in the larger metropolitan area, the number jumps to well over 100, so if you are currently researching nursing facilities in and around the capital of Colorado, you probably know already that the wide range of facilities available in the area makes the search for the most suitable home very difficult. However, with the right approach, you can find the facility that suits your loved one’s needs and requirements, the place that provides the best living circumstances for him or her – here is our list of tips that can make it all easier.
Start Looking for Homes Close to Where You Live
The perfect fit is a home that not only caters for your loved one’s needs and requirements, but is also close to where you live, making it easy for you to visit or to respond to emergencies, if need be. Start your search for the right facility in your neighborhood and extend your search gradually to the neighboring districts and only then to homes that are located far from your home.
What Else to Look for
Apart from geographical location, there are lots of other aspects to consider when evaluating nursing homes:
- Specialized medical care – if your loved one suffers from physical or mental conditions such as dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes or is disabled, look for facilities that provide specialized care for that specific condition and has qualified personnel,
- Licenses and certificates – make sure you choose a home that is properly licensed and has never had its license revoked,
- Financial aspects – try to find out as much as you can about the fees charged by the facilities and the payment options before you include them into your list of institutions to contact.
Seeing the Place for Yourself
- Smell, cleanliness and safety – check whether the rooms, the cafeteria, the toilets are clean. Also have a look at the staircases and the areas that can pose the risk of falling – they need to be well-lit and fitted with grab bars,
- Talk to staff members and residents as well to find out as much a possible about life in the facility,
- Observe the quality of the interaction between nursing staff and residents,
- Check the meals – they need to be nutritious, tasty and varied, served in a pleasant environment,
- Find out about the activities available for the residents,
- Check the outdoor areas – a good nursing home is one that offers its residents the opportunity to spend time outside as well,
- Visit a few rooms – the best facility is one that offers home-like conditions to its residents.
If your loved one can be involved in the selection process, visit the facilities together. If you find a place that might suit your needs, pay a second, unannounced visit and go through your checklist again, just to make sure that the facility you choose is indeed the best of all nursing homes in Denver, the one that will provide the best life for your relative.